Team Competition Entry Process
Team competition takes place in the 10 mile only in the divisions listed below. (Team entry fees are noted for each division. Please note that the team entry fees are the fees required to create the team and are distinct from the individual entry fees each entrant pays to enter the race. All runners being placed on a team must pay the individual entry fee of $50; the team captain must pay the one-time entry fee for the team.)
- Credit Union Team (team entry fee $50)
- Corporate Team (team entry fee $50)
- Educational Institution Team (team entry fee $50)
- Embassy Team (team entry fee $50)
- Government Team (team entry fee $50)
- Media Team (team entry fee $50)
- Military Team (team entry fee $50)
- Running Club Team – Open Men, Open Women or Mixed Masters (team entry fee $20)
- Washington Metropolitan Area Elite Team – Men and Women divisions (team entry fee $50) (Note: The elite teams in this division compete for $1,000 in prize money.)
Note: There is a Capitol Hill Team competition as well. Prospective Capitol Hill teams should not register as Government teams. For details on the Capitol Hill division please contact Sarah Turner at email@example.com.
Team Rules and Requirements
Teams are limited to a maximum of five members, with the top three counting in the team scoring. The three scoring members must include at least one runner of each sex. (The exceptions are Running Club open men’s and open women’s teams, and Washington Metropolitan Area Elite Teams, which are single sex teams). CLICK HERE for complete Team Rules.
Team registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on February 28.
The first step that must happen for Team Registration is the Team Captain must Create the Team. If you know that the team you want to join has already been created, skip to Step 2: Place Runners Onto a Team.
Step 1: Create the Team
Prospective team captains (who are not required to be entrants in the race, although they may be) can CLICK HERE to create the team.
If this is the first 2022 team you are creating as a team captain, you will need to “Create a Profile.” If you have already registered another team for the 2022 race, you will be asked to provide your User ID and password. (Note: user IDs and passwords from previous years are not retained; you must “Create a Profile” for the 2022 race even if you had one in the past.)
Once you have created your profile as a Team Captain, you may create your team (See STEP 2: Place Runners onto a Team below). Please note these important team policies:
- Creating a team and paying the team entry fee does not register the team captain or any team member for the Cherry Blossom Ten-Mile. It only registers an “empty” team.
- A single Team Captain may create more than one team.
- You will select a Team Division from one of the categories above. Elite Running Store teams should register for the Washington Metropolitan Area Elite Team Division. Non-elite Running Store teams may register in the Running Club division if they are an RRCA or USATF club, or in the Corporate division if they are not.
Step 2: Place Runners onto a Team
Team Captains will place runners onto teams by using the “Manage Teams” function available when Team Captains log in at https://secure5.marathonguide.com/register/CherryBlossom10Mile/TeamTools/. When clicking the “Manage Teams” option, the Team Captain will be able to search for individually registered runners and “draft” them on to the team. The rules regarding the placement of runners onto teams are as follows:
- Each prospective team member must be already registered in the race, except as outlined below under “Team Member Exemption Policy.”
- Only Team Captains may place – or remove – already registered runners onto or off of teams. These actions must be accomplished through the “Team Tools” function available to Team Captains when they are logged in.
Team Member Exemption Policy
Team Captains may consult with Team Coordinator George Banker (firstname.lastname@example.org) if 1-2 additional runners are needed to fill out a team. At his discretion, Team Coordinator George Banker may issue 1-2 additional entry codes to a Team Captain for distribution to prospective new team members. These individuals must register for the race and notify the Team Captain when they are entered. Then the Team Captain will return through the “Team Captain Tools” and add the runners to the team. There are a limited number of guaranteed entries available to fill out teams until February 1. Team registration closes at 11:59 P.M. on February 28, 2021.
Confirmations: The Team Captain will be emailed a confirmation of the team members after team registration is closed. The team captain may review this information at any time by accessing the “Team Tools” function.
If you have questions about Team Competition, please email email@example.com.
Good luck going for the team bragging rights within your division.