ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner 5K Training Program Presented by ASICS
February 28 – March 6
Overview: Week 6 increases the amount of time you run between walking breaks. Things should start coming together for you if you have been following the program. Now that you are starting to run longer, you may now want to start using a Garmin product to assist you in your training, if you haven’t been using it already. Besides calculating your time, distance and pace, Garmin watches record other bio-metric data such as number of hours of sleep you get at night. Visit Garmin here to check out their wide range of products to see which one would be best for you. Check with your fellow runners on the 5K Virtual Training Facebook page.
Monday, February 28, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: You are more than half-way through your training. You truly have earned the title of “runner” by this point. Take a look back to see how much progress you have made. You should feel good about what you have already done so far and where you are headed.
Tuesday, March 1, 2022
- Time: 24 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 7 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Wearing sunglasses with UV protection can help protect your eyes on sunny days.
Wednesday, March 2, 2022
- Time: 15 minutes
- Goal: 15 minutes non-stop running
- Tip: This is your first non-stop run. If you can finish this run without stopping, you are on your way to being able to finish the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 5K.
Thursday, March 3, 2022
- Time: 27 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 8 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Continue to work on your flexibility by stretching after training.
Friday, March 4, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Make sure you are getting a lot of rest on these days off. Next week you will begin running without a walking break.
Saturday, March 5, 2022
- Time: 20 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 9 minutes (2 times)
- Tip: See how long you can run before needing a walking break. Skip the walking break if you can.
Sunday, March 6, 2022
- Time: 36 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 8 minutes (4 times)
- Tip: You can skip the walking break, shorten the walking time or increase the running portion before talking a walking break.