ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Ten Mile Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
February 21 – February 27, 2022
Overview: Week 5 has a little bit of everything. It includes your first non-stop running days as well as a couple of longer (45 and 48 minute) walk-runs with minimal walking. Don’t worry if you miss an occasional workout. Doing most of the workouts will result in success on race day. Want your virtual training to be more interactive? Join our 10 Mile Virtual Training Facebook group. It is a good way to stay connected and motivated.
Monday, February 21, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Think how far you have already come from your first day of training. You have just finished your first month of training. Six weeks to go before the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. If you have followed the first four weeks of training, you are on target to be able to run the entire ten miles on race day.
Tuesday, February 22, 2022
- Time: 45 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 14 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: On the longer runs, try to find a route where there is a water fountain or carry a squeeze bottle filled with a sports drink such as Gatorade Endurance Formula to stay properly hydrated. For more information about Gatorade Endurance Formula, which will be available on the course on race day, click here.
Wednesday, February 23, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Be prepared for your first day of nonstop running tomorrow. Spend your time off stretching, doing light weights and/or Yoga/Pilates.
Thursday, February 24, 2022
- Time: 25 minutes
- Goal: Run 25 minutes (no stopping)
- Tip: Keep focused on your goal of running without stopping. If you feel like stopping, try slowing down to see if that helps.
Friday, February 25, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Congratulations on your first non-stop run.
Saturday, February 26, 2022
- Time: 51 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 16 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Try to run as long as you can without a walking break. Instead of stopping to walk, try to slow down a bit and keep moving.
Sunday, February 27, 2022
- Time: 27 minutes
- Goal: Run 27 minutes non-stop
- Tip: It should start feeling easier. Go out a bit slower for the first ten minutes and then pick up the pace.