ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Ten Mile Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
January 31 – February 6, 2022
Overview: Week 2 has you increasing your running time while decreasing your walking breaks. We are going to start using the words “runner” and “running” instead of “jogger” and “jogging” as you begin your transformation. By the end of this week, you will have increased your total run-walk time to 36 minutes. Returning runners have the option of fewer or no walking breaks. Rest days are built into the schedule to ensure that your body has adequate time to recover. Don’t be surprised if you are stiff and sore after the workouts. This is quite normal. Join our Ten Mile Virtual Training Facebook group to share your training experience.
Monday, January 31, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Staying hydrated during training is very important. Consider training with the same drink that will be served on race day by drinking Gatorade Endurance Formula, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. For more information about Gatorade Endurance Formula, click here.
Tuesday, February 1, 2022
- Time: 20 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes (5 times)
- Tip: Wear light layers of clothes if running in cold weather. Avoid heavy, bulky clothes. Runners lose a lot of heat through their head and hands so be sure to wear a hat and gloves. You can find the latest running gear, including outstanding apparel from ASICS, our official shoe and apparel sponsor, at Potomac River Running stores in the D.C. Metropolitan area.
Wednesday, February 2, 2022
- Time: 36 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes (9 times)
- Tip: Be careful about running on snow and ice. Take short, choppy strides to avoid slipping or falling when running in winter conditions.
Thursday, February 3, 2022
- Time: 25 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes (5 times)
- Tip: Try to do your workout at the same time every day. Consistency will help make running a lifetime habit. It helps if you can find a workout buddy. You can find a running club in your area at the RRCA website.
Friday, February 4, 2022
- Rest Day
- Tip: Read a book on sports nutrition and think about changes you might want to make to your diet. The first step usually involves cutting back on junk food, sugar, and alcohol. Also, stay hydrated on your days off and consider drinking Gatorade Endurance Formula, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the race.
Saturday, February 5, 2022
- Time: 35 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes (7 times)
- Tip: When running in the early morning or late evening, make sure you are wearing reflective clothing, including a reflective vest. A flashing red light will help drivers see you from afar.
Sunday, February 6, 2022
- Time: 24 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes (4 times)
- Tip: If you are training on a treadmill, adjust the elevation to 1.0 to equate the effort of running outdoors.