ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner 5K Training Program Presented by ASICS
August 2 – August 8, 2021
Overview: In week 4, you will continue to reduce your walking time while increasing your running time. Don’t worry about the walk-run approach, as soon you will be running non-stop. You may feel like you are working harder, and you are!! Soon you will be running non-stop. Questions about training can be posted on our training Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT5K. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Monday, August 2, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 2 minutes, run 3 minutes (6 times)
- Tip: Try to maintain a conversational effort at all times. You should not be completely out of breath.
Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes (repeat 6 times)
- Tip: As the runs get longer, try to find a route where there is a water fountain or carry a water bottle filled with Gatorade, the Official Fuel Provider of the Cherry Blossom 5K. For more information about Gatorade, visit www.gatorade.com/endurance.
Thursday, August 5, 2021
- Time: 24 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes (4 times)
- Tip: Avoid running in the mid-day heat if possible.
Friday, August 6, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: If you want to stretch on your rest day, before you do, go for a brisk walk or an easy ride on an exercise bicycle to warm up your muscles. Never stretch cold muscles.
Saturday, August 7, 2021
- Time: 36 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes (6 times)
- Tip: It should start feeling easier.
Sunday, August 8, 2021
- Time: 21 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 6 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Try to run as long as possible without a walking break. Instead of stopping to walk, try to slow down a bit and keep running.