ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
August 16 – August 22, 2021
Overview: Week 6 has no more walk-runs. You are getting closer to race day. You will be doing your first long non-stop runs of 60 and 65 minutes, a couple of shorter runs and one day of aerobic intervals. It is okay if you need to stop for a moment during the long runs, but try to limit the time to simply catching your breath. Thousands have successfully completed this program—you can do it too! If it is unusually hot on a particular day, consider taking an extra rest day instead of doing the scheduled workout. Doing most of the workouts will result in success on race day. Questions about training can be posted on our training Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Monday, August 16, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: You are less than a month away from the race. You are now in the final stage of preparation for the biggest race of your life. If you have been following the program and doing the workouts, you are on target to complete the 10 Mile race. Thousands of runners have successfully followed the Beginner’s Program and have finished the race – it should work for you.
Tuesday, August 17, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: 30 minutes of easy running
- Tip: This should be an easy day in preparation for tomorrow’s long run.
Wednesday, August 18, 2021
- Time: 60 minutes
- Goal: Run the entire 60 minutes without a walking break
- Tip: Start out slowly for the first 10-15 minutes to help you make it through this run without taking a walking break.
Thursday, August 19, 2021
- Time: 20 minutes
- Goal: 20 minutes of easy running
- Tip: This recovery run should be at a very easy conversational pace. No heavy breathing. If you are feeling very tired, consider taking the day off or go for a long walk.
Friday, August 20, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: About 3 weeks to go. Your training is almost over.
Saturday, August 21, 2021
- Time: 35 minutes
- Goal: Include 15 minutes of aerobic intervals (15 seconds hard/45 seconds easy)
- Tip: Start out with easy running for the first 10 minutes. Then for the next 15 minutes, accelerate for 15 seconds hard (DO NOT SPRINT) followed by a 45-second very easy jog. The 15-second portion should not be a sprint but instead should simply be a slightly harder effort than you normally run. Repeat the 15/45 pattern 15 times until you have completed 15 minutes. Jog the last 10 minutes at very easy effort to finish the workout. Try to stay relaxed during the 15 seconds of hard running. If you don’t have a watch, try counting 22 left foot strikes, which is approximately 15 seconds, and then count 67 left foot strikes, which is approximately 45 seconds.
Sunday, August 22, 2021
- Time: 65 minutes
- Goal: 65 minutes without a walking break
- Tip: Don’t worry that you have not yet run 10 miles. It is not necessary to have run 10 miles to complete the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. Thousands of beginning runners have followed this program and successfully completed the ten miles. You should be able to finish the race if you have been following the training schedule.