ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
August 2 – August 8, 2021
Overview: Week 4 has a little bit of everything. It includes your first non-stop running days as well as a couple of longer (45- and 48-minute) walk-runs with minimal walking. Don’t worry if you miss an occasional workout. If it is unusually hot on a particular day, consider taking an extra rest day instead of doing the scheduled workout. Doing most of the workouts will result in success on race day. Questions about training can be posted on our training Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Monday, August 2, 2021
- Time: 48 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 11 minutes (4 times)
- Tip: You should start getting used to only having very short walking breaks. You can skip the walking break if you feel you do not need it.
Tuesday, August 3, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 14 minutes (2 times)
- Tip: On the longer runs, try to find a route where there is a water fountain or carry a squeeze bottle filled with Gatorade Endurance Formula with you to stay properly hydrated. For more information about Gatorade Endurance Formula, which will be available on the course on race day, visit www.gatorade.com/endurance.
Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Spend your day off stretching, doing light weights and/or Yoga/Pilates.
Thursday, August 5, 2021
- Time: 51 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 16 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Try to run as long as you can without a walking break. Instead of stopping to walk, try to slow down a bit and keep moving. Get ready for your first day of nonstop running tomorrow.
Friday, August 6, 2021
- Time: 25 minutes
- Goal: Run 25 minutes (no stopping)
- Tip: Keep focused on your goal of running without stopping. If you feel like stopping, try slowing down to see if that helps.
Saturday, August 7, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Congratulations on your first non-stop run.
Sunday, August 8, 2021
- Time: 50 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 24 minutes (2 times)
- Tip: Wearing sunglasses with UV protection can help protect your eyes on sunny days.