ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
August 9 – August 15, 2021
Overview: Week 5 includes a long walk-run of 56 minutes plus some longer non-stop runs. There is also one aerobic interval day designed to build up your anaerobic threshold, which helps to increase your pace. Things should start coming together for you if you have been following the program. Now that you are starting to run longer, including non-stop runs, you may now want to start using a Garmin product to assist you in your training if you haven’t been using it already. Besides calculating your time, distance, and pace, Garmin watches record other bio-metric data such as number of hours of sleep you need at night. Visit Garmin at https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-cRunning-p1.html to check out their wide range of products to see which one would be best for you. If it is unusually hot on a particular day, consider taking an extra rest day instead of doing the scheduled workout. Doing most of the workouts will result in success on race day. Questions about training can be posted on our training Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Monday, August 9, 2021
- Time: 27 minutes
- Goal: Run 27 minutes nonstop
- Tip: It should start feeling easier. Go out a bit slower for the first ten minutes and then pick up the pace.
Tuesday, August 10, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: You are more than halfway through your training. You have truly earned the title of “runner” by this point. Look back to see how much progress you have made. You should feel good about what you have already done so far and where you are headed.
Wednesday, August 11, 2021
- Time: 36 minutes
- Goal: 36 minutes nonstop running
- Tip: If you can finish this run without stopping, you are on your way to being able to finish the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile.
Thursday, August 12, 2021
- Time: 25 minutes
- Goal: 25 minutes nonstop running
- Tip: Continue to work on your flexibility by stretching after every run and on your days off.
Friday, August 13, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Make sure you are getting a lot of rest on these days off. Next week you will begin three consecutive days of running without a walking break.
Saturday, August 14, 2021
- Time: 56 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 27 minutes (2 times)
- Tip: See how long you can run before needing a walking break. Skip the walking break if you can.
Sunday, August 15, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: 30 minutes of running including 10 minutes of aerobic intervals (15 seconds hard/45 seconds easy)
- Tip: Start off with 10 minutes of easy running, then alternate during the next 10 minutes by running 15 seconds at a slightly harder effort (DO NOT SPRINT) followed by 45 seconds of very easy jogging for a total of ten times. Finish the run by doing the final 10 minutes at a very easy jog. You should be huffing and puffing during the 10 minutes of aerobic intervals. If you don’t have a watch, try counting 22 left foot strikes, which is approximately 15 seconds, and then count 67 left foot strikes, which is approximately 45 seconds.