ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
July 12 – July 18, 2021
Overview: Thanks to the support of ASICS and Garmin, the Kirt West Beginners Training program is the beginning of your transformation into a runner or a return to consistent running, culminating in the 2021 Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run on September 12, 2021. You will start off with a walk-run approach where you will stop running and walk for a bit in your first few weeks. Don’t worry. Thousands have followed this program and successfully completed the 10-mile race.
Summer Running: Most runners will be training during the summer where extra precautions should be taken. Drink plenty of liquids and stay hydrated. Consider drinking Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Returning Runners: If you are a former runner, you may want to walk less and run more, or you may find this program too basic and should consider the Runcoach Intermediate program. If you decide to change to the Runcoach program, please send an email to email@example.com requesting to be removed from the Beginners Program and go to https://www.cherryblossom.org/pre-race/training/runcoach-int-adv-training/ to register for the Runcoach progam.
Tracking Your Fitness: As you start your training, consider using a Garmin product for a scientific approach to training. Visit Garmin at https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-cRunning-p1.html to check out their entire range of products to see if one will work for you.
Join the Group: Want your virtual training to be more interactive? Join our Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M
Monday, July 12
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk for 1 minute and then accelerate into a slow jog for 2 minutes. Do this 10-times.
- Tip: Always begin walking to warm up your legs. After a couple of minutes, begin walking faster and faster until you start jogging. The jogging portion should be at a conversational effort, not a sprint.
Tuesday, July 13
- Time: 21 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 2 minutes (7 times)
- Tip: Find a specialty running shoe store to get properly fitted with a good pair of running shoes that will work for you. The best shoe for you to wear depends upon the structure of your foot, your gait, size, etc. Do not try to train in cross trainers or an old pair of running shoes that is more than 6 months old. For friendly, expert advice visit Potomac River Running (www.potomacriverrunning.com), our official retail partner, with 9 stores throughout the Washington Metropolitan area. They have the latest running shoes and apparel, including outstanding models from ASICS, our official shoe and apparel sponsor.
Wednesday, July 14, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Rest days are important to let your body recover. If you are used to other kinds of aerobic activities, you may want to consider cutting back during this training program, especially in the months of July and August. Consider instead taking a Yoga or stretching class on your rest day. These programs are not only offered by gyms but can also be found online.
Thursday, July 15, 2021
- Time: 32 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes (8 times)
- Tip: The running part of your workout should not be a sprint—slowly accelerate from a walk into a slow jog. At first you may be out of breath, but your breathing will become easier in the next couple of weeks as you start getting into shape.
Friday, July 16, 2021
- Time: 24 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes (6 times)
- Tip: It is normal to feel stiff and sore after the first week. That is nothing to be worried about as it is part of the process of getting into shape. Soreness is good, pain is not.
Saturday, July 17, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: You may want to think about doing moderate upper body weights as part of your preparation for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. Avoid doing leg weights, as running will take care of your legs.
Sunday, July 18, 2021
- Time: 36 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes (9 times)
- Tip: Make sure you are fully hydrated when running in the heat of the summer. Gatorade is the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Union Blossom Ten Mile race. For more information about Gatorade Endurance Formula, visit www.gatorade.com/endurance.