ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
July 19 – July 25, 2021
Overview: Week 2 has you increasing your running time while decreasing your walking breaks. We will use the terms “runner” and “running” instead of “jogger” and “jogging” as you begin your transformation. By the end of this week, you will have increased your total run-walk time to 40 minutes. Returning runners have the option of fewer or no walking breaks. Rest days are built into the schedule to ensure that your body has adequate time to recover. Don’t be surprised if you are stiff and sore after the workouts. This is quite normal. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun. Want your virtual training to be more interactive? Join our Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M
Monday, July 19, 2021
- Time: 21 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 6 minutes (3 times)
- Tip: Consider applying sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater to avoid sunburn. Wearing a cap will help protect your face, or you may want to use a head sweatband. Wear a light shirt or a running singlet and lightweight running shorts. You can find summer running gear, including outstanding apparel from ASICS, our official shoe and apparel sponsor, at Potomac River Running (www.potomacriverrunning.com) stores in the D.C. Metropolitan area.
Tuesday, July 20, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Staying hydrated during training is very important even on your days off. For more information about hydration, visit Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile race, at www.gatorade.com/endurance.
Wednesday, July 21, 2021
- Time: 35 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 6 minutes (5 times)
- Tip: Wear polarized sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Thursday, July 22, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes (6 times)
- Tip: Try to do your workout at the same time every day, ideally early in the day or in the evening to avoid high temperatures and exposure to direct sunlight. Consistency will help make running a lifetime habit. It helps if you can find a workout buddy. If you join our training Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CUCBVT10M, you might be able to find a training partner. You may also be able to find one at a running club in your area at https://www.rrca.org/find-a-running-club.
Friday, July 23, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Read a book on sports nutrition and diet–think about changes you might want to make to your diet. The first step usually involves cutting back on junk food, sugar, and alcohol.
Saturday, July 24, 2021
- Time: 40 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 4 minutes (8 times)
- Tip: When running before sunrise or after sunset, wear reflective clothing, including a reflective vest. A flashing red light will help drivers see you from afar.
Sunday, July 25, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes (5 times)
- Tip: If you are training on a treadmill, adjust the elevation to 1.0 to equate the effort of running outdoors.