ASICS Beginner Training
Kirt West Beginner Training Program Presented by ASICS
July 26 – August 1, 2021
Overview: Week 3 will have you increasing your total run-walk time to 50 minutes. Returning runners may have ended the walking breaks altogether. If you feel like it, you can shorten or even skip the walking breaks. Don’t worry about your pace—it will get faster over the next few weeks. It is more important that you get used to running for a long time. It is okay if you need to take more than a minute walking break once in a while. Your goal is to complete the race running the entire time. Stay hydrated with Gatorade, the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Cherry Blossom Ten Mile. If possible, try to train early in the day or at night to avoid high temperatures and exposure to the sun.
Monday, July 26, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Days off are important to let your body assimilate the gains from your training and to let you recover from hard efforts. Use the rest day to do moderate upper body weights or attend a Yoga or Pilates class.
Tuesday, July 27, 2021
- Time: 42 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 5 minutes (7 times)
- Tip: You should be able to hold a conversation during the running portion of the workout. If you are out of breath, try slowing down.
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
- Time: 28 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 6 minutes (4 times)
- Tip: You are getting stronger and should start feeling like you can take shorter walking breaks or none at all. Make sure to continue to hydrate with Gatorade Endurance Formula, which is the Official Sports Fuel Provider of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom, to get the most out of your training and be able to perform at your best on race day. For details about Gatorade Endurance Formula, visit www.gatorade.com/endurance
Thursday, July 29, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: If you want to stretch on your rest day, before you do, go for a brisk walk or an easy ride on an exercise bicycle to warm up your muscles. Never stretch cold muscles.
Friday, July 30, 2021
- Time: 45 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 8 minutes (5 times)
- Tip: Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed while running
Saturday, July 31, 2021
- Time: 30 minutes
- Goal: Walk 1 minute, run 14 minutes (2 times)
- Tip: Try to keep your shoulders relaxed while running. Arms should swing like a pendulum.
Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Rest Day
- Tip: Think how far you have already come from your first day of training. You have just finished your three weeks of training. Six weeks to go before the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. If you have followed the first four weeks of training, you are on target to be able to run the entire ten miles on race day.