ASICS Advanced Training
Kirt West Advanced Ten Mile Training Program Presented by ASICS
Week of March 21 – March 27, 2022
Overview: Week 9 begins your taper. It includes doing training at projected Credit Union Cherry Blossom race pace. Training volume should be reduced by 20-25% with perhaps an extra rest day. The weekly long run should be reduced by 2-3 miles. Check out what others are doing on our Ten Mile Intermediate/Advanced Virtual Training Facebook page.
Monday, March 21, 2022
- Goal: Rest day or optional easy recovery run of 4-7 miles.
- Tip: You are now beginning to taper for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. This week will be moderate in intensity. Your hard training is over and you should be doing a lot of easy running. Too much hard running before a long race can leave you tired on race day, with disappointing race results.
Tuesday March 22, 2022
- Distance: 5-7 miles
- Goal: 3-4 Credit Union Cherry Blossom race pace mile repeats.
- Tip: Warm up for one mile and then run 3-4 one-mile repeats at goal race pace with a 400-meter jog recovery (2-3 minutes) between miles. Cool down one mile.
Wednesday March 23, 2022
- Distance: 4-6 miles
- Goal: Easy run
- Tip: Most of your training is over. You will start having more days off. Remember to stretch on days off.
Thursday March 24, 2022
- Distance: 4-6 miles
- Goal: 2-3 Credit Union Cherry Blossom repeat miles.
- Tip: Warm up for one mile and then run 2-3 one-mile repeats at goal pace with a 400-meter jog recovery (2-3 minutes) between sets. Cool down one mile.
Friday March 25, 2022
- Distance: Rest day or optional easy recovery run of 3-5 miles.
- Goal: Taper!
- Tip: Nothing you do today will make you faster on race day. Overtraining, however, can result in a bad race. You want to go into the race rested and frisky.
Saturday March 26, 2022
- Distance: 5-6 miles
- Goal: 5-10K race or easy run.
- Tip: If you race this weekend, it will be your last hard effort. Stay away from races longer than a 10K; otherwise, you may not be fully recovered on race day. Run very easy if not racing today.
Sunday March 27, 2022
- Distance: 6-9 miles
- Goal: Last long run.
- Tip: If you did not race yesterday, consider running 2-3 miles at predicted Credit Union Cherry Blossom pace at the end of the run. The more race pace miles you run, the more likely it is that you will be able to hold that pace for 10 miles.