ASICS Intermediate Training
Kirt West Intermediate 10 Mile Training Program Presented by ASICS
Week of March 13 – March 19, 2023
Overview: This is the last week of hard training. The end is in sight. Continue to focus on the weekly long run. The two minute hard-easy runs continue. Visit our 10 Mile Intermediate/Advanced Virtual Training Facebook page and share your favorite running course.
Monday, March 13, 2023
- Rest Day
- Tip: Think about running a St. Patrick’s Day race this weekend. A 5K or 10K race may help you to mentally prepare for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom and give you a pre-race practice run that includes the various steps of race-day preparation, including what to eat for breakfast and emptying your bladder and bowels.
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
- Distance: 3-5 miles
- Goal: Easy run especially if you increased the distance of your long run
- Tip: Think how hard these runs used to be when you started training for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. Think how much easier your runs have become since January and early February.
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
- Distance: 4-7 miles
- Goal: After a mile warm up, run 2 minutes hard, jog for 2 minutes and repeat 10 times for a total of 40 minutes. The 2-minute hard segment IS NOT A SPRINT. Instead, it is a surge in which you try to stay relaxed while working hard. Finish with an easy cool-down jog of at least one mile.
- Tip: For the hard portion of the workout, try to run at your 5K or 10K race effort. If you do not know your race pace, the effort should be somewhat difficult and involve some huffing and puffing, especially at the end of the workout.
Thursday, March 16, 2023
- Distance: 3-5 miles
- Goal: Easy recovery run to recover from your last speed session
- Tip: Remember to stretch after each run
Friday, March 17, 2023
- Rest Day Enjoy St. Patrick’s Day!
- Tip: Only two weeks to go. Your last long run is coming up on Sunday.
Saturday, March 18, 2023
- Distance: 4-6 miles
- Goal: Easy run or 5K or 10K race
- Tip: Think about what clothing you are going to wear on race day. For the latest gear and apparel, visit REI or Potomac River Running, our official retail partners. They have the latest shoes and high-tech apparel including from ASICS, our official shoe and apparel sponsor.
Sunday, March 19, 2023
- Distance: 10-12 miles
- Goal: Easy long run
- Tip: If you did not run a race yesterday, try to run a couple of Credit Union Cherry Blossom predicted race pace miles during the middle of the long run to see how your body reacts to the pace. If you ran a race on Saturday, run at a very easy pace. If you decided to run a race today, go out for an easy run afterwards to get your mileage up to the suggested total of 10-12 miles for the day.